- This event has passed.
Understanding the T in LGBT
February 22 @ 9:00 am - 3:00 pm$35
This presentation will cover the core elements of sexual and gender identity and how they differ from gender expression. We will discuss rapidly changing language and vocabulary, the importance of using appropriate pronouns, and acknowledge the diversity that is inherent in the Transgender Community. The role of privilege and the impact of discrimination are important factors in clinical care, and we will learn about our own internalized biases by exploring them through interactive activities. Participants will leave with techniques for creating safe and welcoming environments; understand how addiction intersects with gender identity issues, and how to provide trauma informed care for this population. During this workshop, the Transgender Emergence Model will be explained and myths around this marginalized community will be dispelled.
As a result of this training, participants will be able to:
- Participants will leave comprehending the difference between sexual and gender identity as well as the diversity that exists within the Transgender Community.
- Participants will learn evidence-based and inclusive strategies for providing respectful clinical care
- Participants will be able to identify and liberate internalized biases held by practitioners
- Participants will acquire effective methods for creating safe clinical environments.
MARSHA PARTINGTON (she/her/hers), MA, Masters Level Addictions Counselor at Wayside Recovery Center
– Marsha is a Masters Level Addictions Counselor employed with Wayside Recovery Center, and works with clients at their outpatient location in St. Paul, MN. Prior to working for Wayside, Marsha was a counselor at Pride Institute’s Residential Program in Eden Prairie, MN. Pride is one of only two exclusively LGBTQ treatment programs in our country. During her tenure there, Ms. Partington created specific programming around transgender and gender non-conforming issues, as well as facilitating a weekly transgender support group.
She is no stranger to advocating for vulnerable populations. During the AID’s epidemic in 1980, Marsha volunteered on a suicide hotline, provided education and raised money to benefit Equity Fights Aids, an initiative of the theatrical community in NYC. Locally, Partington worked tirelessly with Minnesotans United for All Families in the fight to achieve marriage equality. Marsha serves on the Speakers Bureau for PFLAG and frequently provides education at various venues in support of LGBTQ youth.
A graduate of Hazelden Graduate School of Addiction Studies, she was recognized by the Multicultural Association of Student Counselors by being granted a scholarship while attending their program.
Marsha travels nationally educating professionals in behavioral health fields about how to create inclusive respectful environments for Transgender clients. Additionally, she speaks at Sober Houses, lectures at Graduate schools, presents at LGBTQ specific conferences, School Districts and Community Agencies to dispel myths and provide understanding around challenges faced by this marginalized community.
A freelance writer, Marsha writes on this topic often, weaving her personal story of strength and courage throughout the pages. Having moved to Minnesota twenty years ago, Partington considers herself “ a Minnesotan and lives in the Twin Cities area with her two dogs.
Additional Logistical Details
- You will receive a confirmation notice once you have paid. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please contact Jacqueline at 763-658-5800 ext. 1513 or send her an email at email@example.com.
- A handout for the workshop will be emailed to you if one is available. If you do not receive an email containing the handout a week prior to the scheduled workshop, contactJacqueline by phone or email at least 24 hours before the workshop.
- Cancellations: Please contact us at least 48 hours prior to the scheduled workshop to allow others to attend as space is limited. If you have a replacement for your spot we will need to know when you are cancelling.